An archaeological excavation in 1985 revealed wall foundations dating to the late 13th or early 14th century. This indicates a building of unknown size. Some of this building may have been incorporated in the later medieval house. Late Medieval (1400-1475).
The first house was massively rebuilt, probably in the late 15th century. This resulted in an “L”-shaped building with a hall range on the street frontage and a parlour range behind. Probable surviving elements from this era are the walls and fireplaces of the hall and parlour ranges and the arch-braced roof over the parlour.
Mid 16th century
At this time floors were introduced to the building to give two storeys. The kitchen and service ranges were probably built in this period. This may have been done to turn the building into an inn as this pattern is rare for houses of the period but it is a common format for an inn.
By the mid 17th century the building was an inn called The George, described as having “two stables, gardens, outhouses, cellars, courts, edifices and buildings.” The kitchen range became two rooms and the fireplace was altered to incorporate a brick boiler, unusual at this time.
At the beginning of the 18th century the building, being derelict, was refurbished and was converted into three dwellings. Known occupants include the Scaplens, carpenters who bought the building.
19th century onwards
By the Victorian period the building had declined to poor tenements with the antiquity of the building forgotten. It took major structural damage from a storm in 1925, to reveal the ancient fabric beneath. Prominent local citizens fought to save the building, which led to its current ownership by Poole Borough Council who then restored the building.